As a writer, you might be familiar with the basics of the publishing industry – but there are plenty of things that you might not know. Here are a few to keep in mind:
1. The publishing industry is constantly changing: The world of publishing is always evolving, and it can be tough to keep up. From new technologies to changing trends, it’s important to stay flexible and be open to new ideas.
2. Rejections are a normal part of the process: If you’re planning to submit your work to agents or publishers, be prepared to receive a lot of rejections. It’s not personal – it’s just a part of the process.
3. It’s not just about the writing: As an author, you’ll need to think about more than just the writing when it comes to publishing your book. You’ll also need to consider things like marketing, promotion, and distribution.
4. It’s a business: While writing can be a creative and personal pursuit, publishing is a business. It’s important to be professional and to think about the financial side of things as you work on your book.
5. You don’t have to go it alone: While it’s important to be self-motivated as a writer, you don’t have to go it alone. There are plenty of resources available to help you on your journey, whether it’s writing groups, writing retreats, or author services companies.
So there you have it – a few things you might not know about the publishing industry. With a little knowledge and some persistence, you can navigate the world of publishing and get your book out into the world. Happy writing!
A writer is someone who writes. An author is someone who publishes. Are you ready to be an author?
Atmosphere Press has been guiding authors on rewarding journeys through publication and beyond since 2015. Our authors’ award-winning and acclaimed books have sold tens of thousands of copies across six continents, and our Press ethos is to put the power not in the hands of the publisher, but in the hands of the writer, where it belongs. Accredited with an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau, we partner with the Independent Book Publishers Association, the Association of Writers and Writing Programs, Writer’s Digest, Poets & Writers, Winning Writers, and Writing Magazine, among others.
If you would like to explore taking this author journey with us, please reach out to us directly through our submissions page. We’ll look forward to helping you achieve your goals as a writer…and as an author!