As an author, you know that a synopsis is an important tool for promoting your book. Whether it’s on the back cover of your book or in a press release, a good synopsis can help grab the attention of readers and give them a sense of what your book is about. But how do you write a gripping synopsis that will make readers want to pick up your book? Here are a few tips to help you get started:
1. Keep it short and sweet: A synopsis is meant to be a brief summary of your book, so keep it short and sweet. Aim for around 200-300 words, and focus on the most important elements of your plot.
2. Start with a hook: The first sentence of your synopsis is crucial – it’s your chance to grab the reader’s attention and make them want to keep reading. Consider starting with a question, a quote, or a provocative statement to draw readers in.
3. Use active verbs: Active verbs can help give your synopsis a sense of energy and movement. Instead of saying “the protagonist is faced with a problem,” try “the protagonist confronts a problem.”
4. Avoid spoilers: While you want to give readers a sense of what your book is about, you don’t want to give away too much. Avoid spoilers and focus on the main plot points rather than giving away the ending.
5. Proofread: As with any piece of writing, it’s important to proofread your synopsis carefully. Make sure there are no typos or errors, and check for clarity and concision.
So there you have it – a few tips for writing a gripping synopsis for the back of your book. With a little planning and some attention to detail, you can craft a synopsis that will help you promote your book and grab the attention of readers. Happy writing!
A writer is someone who writes. An author is someone who publishes. Are you ready to be an author?
Atmosphere Press has been guiding authors on rewarding journeys through publication and beyond since 2015. Our authors’ award-winning and acclaimed books have sold tens of thousands of copies across six continents, and our Press ethos is to put the power not in the hands of the publisher, but in the hands of the writer, where it belongs. Accredited with an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau, we partner with the Independent Book Publishers Association, the Association of Writers and Writing Programs, Writer’s Digest, Poets & Writers, Winning Writers, and Writing Magazine, among others.
If you would like to explore taking this author journey with us, please reach out to us directly through our submissions page. We’ll look forward to helping you achieve your goals as a writer…and as an author!